ASMR videos have become increasingly popular in recent years, and more and more people are looking for ways to create the perfect ASMR experience. Making the best ASMR experience for your listeners is all about the microphone.
We’ll look at what makes these microphones so special and why they create the perfect audio experience for ASMR enthusiasts everywhere.
If you’re just starting out in the world of ASMR and want to buy your first microphone, or you’re a seasoned professional, we’ll help you find the perfect microphone!
In this blog post, we will discuss five of the best microphones for ASMR in 2022. So let’s get started.
ASMR stands for Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response, a relaxing, almost hypnotic sensation. It creates a tingling sensation that starts on the scalp and continues down the body. It is triggered by a gentle stimulus such as whispering voices, tearing paper, mouth sounds, and tapping fingers, leading to heightened sensations.
What is an ASMR microphone?
People use an ASMR microphone to create ASMR sensations. Such as by whispering or softly talking, tapping their nails, scratching, tapping paper, and making eating and mouth sounds to evoke a pleasurable reaction from listeners.
The best ASMR microphones also remove the background noise such as humming or hissing sounds that occur when you record at a low volume. In addition, an ASMR mic features reduced self-noise to help eliminate background noise and produce clear sounds.
Self-noise is measured in dBA, and any microphone with 15 dBA or less is best suited for ASMR. For the signal-to-noise ratio, you will want to ideally have a microphone that is 80 dB or above.
What is the best ASMR microphone?
Here are the best ASMR microphones for 2022:
- Blue Yeti Microphone – Best Overall ASMR microphone
- Audio-Technica AT2020USB – Best Budget ASMR microphone
- 3Dio Free Space Binaural Microphone – Best Mic for 3D binaural ASMR Recordings
- Shure SM7B – Best for podcasting and ASMR live streaming
- Rode NT-USB – Best ASMR microphone For Beginners
Best Overall ASMR Microphone
Blue Yeti mics are some of the most well-known and best USB microphones and are trusted by millions of streamers and content creators. Their versatility and sound quality make it an excellent choice for both ASMR pros and beginners.
You can just plug the microphone straight into your laptop for easy plug-and-play professional recording. Doing so gives you high-quality audio recording while also saving you money. This is because you don’t need to worry about adding an audio interface or a complex technical setup to achieve great results.
- USB microphone – no audio interface required
- Powerful, clear, broadcast-quality sound – perfect for voice overs, podcasting, vocals, gaming, field recordings, instruments, and more
- Plug n’ play compatible with both Mac and PC
- Multiple pattern selection – cardioid, stereo, omnidirectional, and bidirectional
- Includes mute button, gain control, and zero-latency headphone output for complete control of streaming and recording
- Unique design makes it highly positionable
- Includes enhanced Blue VO! CE vocal effects, including advanced modulation and HD audio samples
- Good sound quality
- Easy to use – just plug and go
- Very affordable option – excellent value for money
- Has no XLR output
- Very sensitive to shocks and pops
Connection Type: USB
Impedance: 16 ohms
Frequency Range: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
Polar Patterns: Cardioid, Omni, Figure-8, Stereo
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 100 dB
Weight: 1.2 lbs (.55 kg) microphone / 2.2 lbs (1 kg) microphone + stand
The Blue Yeti Mic is perfect for ASMR content creators who want excellent sound quality without having to deal with technical audio setups. Instead, you can just plug it into your laptop via USB and begin to create ASMR videos right away. As a result, it is trusted by millions of creators worldwide.
2. Audio-Technica AT2020USB
Best Budget ASMR microphone
The Audio-Technica AT2020USB is the best budget ASMR microphone. It provides an excellent balance between sound quality and price.
While being an excellent choice for podcasters, it is also very popular with ASMR content creators as it performs well for speaking and whispering, as well as for singing and vocals.
Audio-Technica has very high quality and consistency standards, which help set the AT2020 apart from other ASMR mics. In addition, the low-mass diaphragm has been engineered for advanced frequency and transient response to pick up all the frequencies of ASMR in crystal clear audio.
The microphone has a rugged construction which should provide durable performance for many years. The microphone also has a large dynamic range that easily handles high SPLs (Sound Pressure Levels).
The AT2020 is the new industry standard for side-address studio condensers at a very affordable price.
- Best Side-address studio condenser microphone for cost/performance ratio for home recording
- Wide dynamic range and high SPL for unmatched versatility
- Reduced pickup of sounds from the rear and sides due to the cardioid polar pattern – improved isolation of the sound source
- Includes a stand mount, threaded adapter, and soft protective pouch
- Superior transient response and extended frequency response
- Secure, easy, and precise pivoted, threaded stand mount for easy microphone placement
Type: Permanently polarized condenser microphone
Connection Type: USB
Impedance: 100 ohms
Frequency Range: 20 Hz- 20,000 kHz
Polar Patterns: Cardioid
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 74 dB
Weight: 13.2 oz (374 g)
- Excellent value for money
- Highly versatile mic with a wide dynamic range
- Rugged construction
- Doesn’t include a shock-mount
- Is a home studio/recording mic – not suited for live vocal performances
- Only has a cardioid polar pattern
The Audio-Technica AT2020 USB finds the best balance between quality and price in an ASMR mic. The side-address microphone provides a crisp sound and low self-noise, making it great for ASMR home or studio recording projects.
The AT2020USB has now been discontinued and replaced with the upgraded AT2020USB+.
Although, you can still find new AT2020USB mics online at heavily discounted prices, making it the best choice for anyone on a budget.
3. 3Dio Free Space Binaural Microphone
Best for Binaural ASMR Recordings
The most famous and iconic 3D microphone in the world for ASMR is undoubtedly the 3Dio FS Binaural Microphone. It has been made famous by ASMR YouTubers and Twitch streamers.
It is the most essential microphone for anyone looking to capture the best in 3D audio and take their ASMR videos to the next level.
The high-quality binaural mic is the best on the market and is highly affordable. Are you serious about being an ASMR creator? In that case, this is the leader amongst the best microphone for ASMR for both sound quality and visuals.
It brings out a solid and warm tone in the low to mid-range sound frequencies, making it perfect for all the whispers and mouth sounds in crisp ear-tingling detail.
While delivering a punch, it also has outstanding low-end support for any bass sounds.
The 3Dio uses smaller capsules to prevent harsh effects or background noise that is sometimes captured during binaural recordings.
- Powered by pre-installed 9V battery – for 300+ hours of continuous use (battery is easy to change when required)
- Immersive 3D audio with a stereo signal to mimic human hearing
- Perfect for immersive ASMR videos and live streaming
- Stereo 3.5mm (1/ 8″) output jack – plugs directly into an audio interface or mixing console
- Includes a 5/ 8″ microphone stand adapter for mounting
- The base of the microphone has a 1/ 4″ -20 female thread to allow for mounting to a hot-shoe adapter directly on a grip handle or tripod
- Includes two matched condenser microphone capsules inside each ear canal
- Contains a bass roll-off switch with a knee point of 160 Hz
Connection Type: XLR
Impedance: 4k Ω ± 30% at 1kHz (RL=3.9k Ω)
Frequency Range: 60 Hz – 20kHz
Polar Patterns: Omnidirectional
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 80 dB at 1kHz
Operating Voltage: 5V (3V~10V)
- It is the most well-known and iconic microphone for ASMR videos and live streams
- Includes a custom-made hard shell carrying case for safe storage and easy transport
- Excellent Immersive 3D audio sound reproduction
- Gives a more realistic ASMR experience than other mics
- Requires a preamp to boost the signal
AS an ASMR content creator, this is the go-to mic to take your recordings to the next level, improve your ASMR videos, and grow your audience. The ears provide a 360-degree spherical soundscape for capturing audio and eliminating self-noise.
4. Shure SM7B
Best High-End Choice ASMR Microphone
The Shure SM7B is an excellent dynamic microphone suited for ASMR artists, content creators, live streamers, and podcasters. It has a wide-range frequency and is ideal for warm and smooth sounds.
The mic has exceptional true dynamic versatility thanks to its dual-tone controls. In addition, the dual-band switchable EQ features both presence boost controls and low cut.
With the flick of a switch, the mic can perfectly capture audio between flat vocals or spoken voice with a low cut. You can also enable the presence boost for bright sounds, vocals and crisp whispered audio.
The Shure SM7B has shock suspension and a built-in pop filter and is a very lightweight but sturdy mic, thanks to its steel and aluminum construction. As a result, it is perfect for providing an unmistakable sound that is highly desirable for ASMR audio recordings.
- The only microphone you need for everything, including studio recording, home recording, podcasting, and streaming
- Perfect for professional live streaming – extremely clean and natural speech and music reproduction
- The Pop Filter and Suspension Shock Isolation eliminate all mechanical noise and breathiness to keep unwanted sounds out of your recording
- Clean and natural reproduction of music and speech thanks to the smooth, flare, wide-range frequency response
- XLR connection allows for better sound quality and a warm, balanced tone (an audio interface is also required – sold separately)
- Classic Cardioid pattern includes uniform capture – to let you sing or speak at a comfortable angle while rejecting off-axis audio
- Included electromagnetic shielding gets rid of unwanted computer monitors and studio equipment hum
Connection Type: XLR
Material: Aluminum, Steel
Impedance: 150 ohms
Frequency Range: 50 Hz – 20 kHz
Polar Patterns: Unidirectional
Signal-to-Noise Ratio: 59 dB
- Trusted by the world’s leading podcasters, streamers, and vocalists – it is a highly reliable microphone
- Versatile – can be used for many different types of recording
- The excellent sound quality is warm and smooth
- Includes built-in pop filter and shock suspension
- It is expensive compared to other ASMR microphones
- Doesn’t include any cables in the box – sold separately
- Requires a preamp for extra gain to achieve the best results
The Shure SM7B is one of the best microphones for ASMR recordings due to its crisp and clear sound and ability to eliminate any background and produce low self-noise.
5. Rode NT-USB
Best ASMR microphone For Beginners
The Rode NT-USB condenser microphone is one of the most popular USB ASMR microphone options.
Thanks to its USB connection, the microphone is very easy to use, even for beginners. In addition, it delivers crisp and clear audio.
Rode is one of the most well-known and trusted brands regarding microphones and has consistently delivered quality mics for decades.
It has all the high quality you expect from Rode while also being affordable. In addition, the Rode NT-USB features an outstanding internal and external design, which sets it apart from other ASMR mic choices in the same price range.
Rode provides more accessories with the NT-USB than you will find with any other mic.
It includes a tripod desktop stand, a pop filter shield, a storage pouch, a ring mount, and a 6m (20′) USB cable.
WITH THE NT-USB, it is everything you need to get started with your ASMR recordings.
Getting started is easy. All you have to do is plug the mic into your laptop with the USB cable.
- High-quality microphone that is easy to use with USB connectivity
- Includes many accessories – Tripod desk stand, pop shield, storage pouch, ring mount, and 6m (20’) USB cable
- Zero-latency monitoring with a 3.5mm stereo headphone jack
- Control mix between source output and mic input
- Compatible with Mac, PC, and iPad
Connection Type: USB
Impedance: 80 ohms
Frequency Range: 20Hz – 20kHz
Polar Patterns: Cardioid
- Includes everything you need to get started, including the microphone, USB cable, tripod, and pop shield
- Excellent audio quality produces clear, warm, defined sounds
- Monitoring is available via the headphone jack
- Plug and play, easy-to-use microphone
- Pop-shield integration
- Record with clarity thanks to low microphone self-noise
- Only has a cardioid polar pattern
- The microphone is quite heavy due to its solid all-metal construction
- Only has 16-bit /48 kHz recording capabilities
The Rode NT-USB ASMR Microphone is great for anyone who wants a simple, easy-to-use setup with great audio quality. But if you are after a more flexible, versatile, lightweight mic, other options are better.
Final Thoughts – Best ASMR Microphones
Do you want to create an autonomous sensory meridian response (ASMR) that is a clear and immersive experience for your listeners and viewers?
In that case, you need to invest in a high-quality ASMR microphone. Without a good mic, you will notice a lot of self-noise, including hissing or buzzing noises that totally ruin the relaxing experience you are trying to create.
Whether you are new to creating ASMR videos or an experienced professional, there is a mic above that will be perfect for your needs.
The Best ASMR microphone is the Blue Yeti Microphone. It is used by millions of content creators and streamers worldwide due to its outstanding sound quality, versatility, and price balance. The most iconic microphone used for ASMR is the 3Dio Free Space Binaural Microphone.
ASMR microphones can range in price from $45 to $1000, depending on the brand and quality. But, of course, you can always buy a cheaper mic to get started and upgrade your equipment once you monetize your content.
To start an ASMR YouTube channel, you will need a microphone, audio editing software such as Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere Pro, and a quiet place to record.
You’ll need a high-quality camera, too, although even a new iPhone is great to get started.
You may also consider investing in some props or objects that make noise to help trigger your viewers’ ASMR response.
Once you have all of these things, you’re ready to start recording!
No, you do not necessarily need a stereo mic for ASMR. However, having a stereo mic can help create a more immersive experience for your viewers and is highly recommended to improve the audio quality of your ASMR recordings.
Yes, the Blue Yeti microphone is an excellent choice for ASMR. It is versatile and can be used for home studio and live recording applications. Also, it is affordable and has great sound quality.
The Best budget ASMR microphone is the Audio-Technica AT2020USB. It’s a great all-around microphone that works for home studio and live recording applications.
Skyler Benson is a full-time blogger. Join Skyler on SkylerBenson.com and learn how to start an online business and create a life of freedom. Before starting this blog, Skyler worked online as a freelance content writer. He worked with digital marketing agencies and B2B companies for four years. Skyler reviews the best software for your online business and teaches you how to write better and start your freelancing career.